The Lord’s Ascension and Return
Text Acts 1:9-11
The passage that we read together from the Book of Acts is such an amazing, dramatic account of a pivotal event in the life of the early church. We have here Christ’s final statement to his disciples in this world, – the very key to everything else that is going to happen in Acts… Chap 1:7-8
1. Christ’s Ascension. he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight
The importance of this event: Read more…
Whistling in the Spirit
By Pastor C Kerr.
This sermon is part of a series delivered at the Growing Impetuous Church, Willowy Creed, USA. The sermon series is entitled, My Decision to Generously and Audaciously Give without Limits, and this transcript is edited so that the soundbite generation can cope with its deep teaching.
Hi everybody, let’s have a round of applause for me! (Audience applauds). For those who don’t know, A’m Pastor C Kerr, pastor of the Growing Impetuous Church, the biggest mega-church this side of the Atlantic Ocean, and today A’m a-goin to be speaking on WHISTLING IN THE SPIRIT! Ma text today is taken from Isaiah 14:18, and A’m a-reading from the Massage. (Asst. Pastor, “Psst, that should be the MESSAGE” C Kerr, “No, boy, A knows what A’m a-doin here, boy”). Here’s the text…
That’s when God will whistle for the flies at the headwaters of Egypt’s Nile. Isaiah 7:18
That’s a-Ma text for today, so everybody, hold up your Bible and say after me, “This is ma Bible, A em what it says Ah em, Ah do what the pastor tells me to do, Ah am going to be taught the pastor’s vision, and Ah will never have the same bank balance again”. Ah-men!
Well, before Ah beings ma message to you today, a want-a y’all to give a big cheer of welcome to everyone who’s a-joining us today from our other ten campuses across the city, and those in the many correctional institutions and on the internet who are listening in today. Y’all are welcome, and when you you next visit our fair city, you call into see us, and bring along your
wallet, friends. You’ll all be most welcome!
The Saving Shepherd
Isn’t the weather strange? It wasn’t that long ago when, to most people’s surprise we had a serious fall of snow – right in the middle of spring. One of the saddest sights of that snowfall was the images of sheep lost in the snow, covered up, freezing, at the mercy of wild beasts and in danger of dying in the severe cold. I was greatly impressed by the determination of the farmers who sought their lost animals. They were prepared to suffer great personal hardships and dangers in the quest for the lost animals. Many such searches went on for weeks. Read more…
Preachers, Pastors, Students…
Anyone who is building up a theological library, needs to include
NEW TESTAMENT INTRODUCTION
By Donald Guthrie.
Published by IVP
This book is INDISPENSABLE. It is the classic evangelical introduction, sound and scholarly. Before you think about preaching on a biblical text, check out the CONTEXT of the book in which the text is found. This book will help you do that.
The Transfiguration of Christ – Part 4
Text: Matthew 17:1-8
1. God’s Pointer to His Presence! While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them
Now there is great significance in this.
* The Reason of the Cloud! When we read about a cloud in the Scriptures, in connection with God, it always indicates that God’s Glory is present! God, you see, in his essence is invisible. 1 Tim. 6:15-16. So, God symbolised His presence by a cloud. Now, why would God choose to do this? Consider:-
At the Red Sea! Exodus 14:19-20
Upon Mt Sinai, receiving the Law! Exodus 24:15-16
When the Tabernacle rested in the wilderness!. Exodus 40:34-35
When Solomon’s temple in Jerusalem was dedicated! 2 Chron. 5:13-14
On the day of Christ’s ascension! Acts 1:9
Christ enthroned in heaven! Rev. 14:14
* The Radiance of the Cloud! Now, see here that there is a modifier used. This was not just a cloud – it was BRIGHT cloud. Under the law it was commonly a thick and dark cloud that God made the token of his presence; he came down upon mount Sinai in a thick cloud Exodus 19:16 But we are now come, not to the mount that was covered with thick blackness and darkness (Heb_12:18), but to the mount that is crowned with a bright cloud.
* The Rescue of the Cloud! It overshadowed them. It protected them. This cloud was intended to break the force of that great light which otherwise would have overcome the disciples, and have been intolerable!
So the disciples saw this cloud descending. They knew what that meant! God was present! As if that was not enough confirmation they heard…
For more information, or to get service times, or to order CDs, please fill in the form below.
The Transfiguration of Christ – Part 3
Text: Matthew 17:1-8
1. Peter’s Ecstatic Praise! Lord, it is good for us to be here
Peter was thrilled with the Person of Christ! He was amazed at what he saw and with being in the presence of the Lord Jesus. What a great joy to be in the presence of Christ, and in the company of believers! Psalm 122:1 Now, just how glad are we to be in the presence of God? I have to say that sometimes I wonder about ‘Christians’ who have no desire to be in the place where Christ meets his people. A Christian will desire to be at the prayer meeting, and will seek out firstly, the company of other regenerate souls…